News:

Web Board and Forums now working.  Users must be added manually to prevent Spammers.

Main Menu

Great Titles!

Started by jonathansample, June 03, 2010, 12:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathansample

It is sad that Darkhorse has gone away from creator owned titles. I miss those early days where all sorts of strange characters and stories would pop up.

Even though they are publishing primarily licensed material now, and I miss the old line, I still think they are one of the best comic publishers around. These days titles like The Guild and Hellboy are at the top of my comic list, with very few, if any, other titles.

Let's hope they don't water down their stuff in the future like other mainstream comic companies.

Len Collins

Always difficult to know exactly what to say.  I do like licensed product and after something like Hellboy is out for so long, you almost think it is licensed product.  But of course it is not actually.  I do agree that it would be nice to see more original/creator owned properties.  I couldn't totally disagree since I have hoped to see a book by one of my customers for years now.  I guess it would not be creator owned since they paid him for the series, but he was greatly disappointed when they decided to shelve the project; and keep the series in limbo for some future day.  I believe they own the series and have total control.  The customer, however, was so disillusioned I have not seen him in several years.  I think he may have given up creating and drawing comic books.

On the other hand, from a business perspective, I understand that some projects have to be halted regardless of how far you have gone and how much you have invested.  Sometimes you have to hold back in a difficult economy.  I imagine they have many projects (and disappointed creators) that had to be put on hold since they became too cost prohibitive in the current economic situation.  You need to have an expectation of return to put out much money in today's economic environment.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made by Him; and without Him nothing has been made that was made.